Congratulations on your engagement! This is such an exciting time! Here’s a list of the 10 things you do after you say YES!
- Celebrate – Before you know it, you’ll be looking over wedding planning checklists & becoming Pinterest obsessed! Take some time to celebrate with your fiance (say it again, FIANCE!!!). Pop some bubbles or go to one of your favourite restaurants for a special night out just the two of you.
- Share The News – No, not just an Instagram post. Ideally it’s great to tell family and friends in before but if you happen to be away, Face Time your family and friends and let them know. They are sure to be just as excited as you.
- Throw A Party – I mean, I could find any excuse to throw a party but getting engaged is a pretty great reason! Some couples opt to make this their “Share The News” moment and have it be a surprise or other couples have family or close friends host a party to celebrate.
- Set A Budget – Ok, so you knew eventually you’d have to think about this. Setting the budget should come before all other planning decisions as it really LEADS the rest of the planning from here on. This is also a good time to speak with family about whether or not they can help to contribute. So… intimidated to begin budget planning, you know we’ve got you covered. Click here to download our budget spreadsheet.
- Begin drafting your guest list – Once your budget is set, you can begin to think about who you will be inviting to the wedding and start your guest list. This can be a tricky time for couples and families as they have to think about who they would or wouldn’t invite. Do you invite co-workers, children, allow plus-ones? Here are some helpful tips for creating your guest list.
- Determine your wedding vision & style – This is the fun part! Now with your budget set, picture the type of wedding you want. Think about your personal style, hobbies, interests and the setting you envision for your big day. This is where Pinterest can come in for some great inspiration or look at wedding blogs, photographers websites. Once you have your vision in mind, this will be a key point to help with the next step which is selecting your wedding venue.
- Pick your venue – Following this steps in order is critical to finding what is not only the right fit for you but what will work for your budget and guest count. Many couples get excited once they get engaged and immediately begin researching venues, only to be disappointing when one they fall in love with does not fit the other key wedding planning essentials (budget, guest count, vision, logistics). All these need to be considered when selecting a venue. Will you have a church ceremony, get married in your parents back yard, or have the ceremony and reception all at a hotel? There are lots of factors to consider. Here’s some helpful tips for selecting your venue as well as some of our favourite venues in the Lower Mainland.
- Pick a date – Again, to avoid disappointment, it’s good to follow these steps in order as sometimes the venue you fall in love with, might already be booked. If you have a particular date in mind that you are set on as it’s special to you, you might need to be more flexible on the venue you choose.9. Send Save the Dates – Once you have confirmed a date, make sure to send Save The Dates out to guests especially those that live out of town.
10. Select and ask your bridal party – The finish off the first steps of the planning process, choose who you’d like to be by your side on the big day and ask them to be involved. This includes maid of honour, best man, bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girls and ring bearers.
We wish you all the best with planning your big day! If you need some help getting the planning started, we are here to help and have packages and a la carte services to suit your needs and budget. Check out our wedding planning packages here or email us to schedule a complimentary consultation!